The Gabarus Lightkeepers Society
The only hexagonal lighthouse in the Maritimes, sits proudly on the shore of Gabarus Bay, in the 300-year-old village of Gabarus, Cape Breton. Built in 1890, the lighthouse has been a continuous and welcoming beacon for fishermen and boaters, guiding them into safe harbour. Over the years, the shoreline around the lighthouse eroded, until moving the lighthouse became critical in order to save it from falling into the Atlantic. The Gabarus Lightkeepers Society was formed in 2014 for the purpose of raising funds to move and restore the lighthouse. Political Science students from Cape Breton University joined the 78 residents of Gabarus in petitioning the government for permission to save the lighthouse and assume responsibility for its care and maintenance. Through successful participation in a national contest $50,000 was raised and on November 27, 2015 the lighthouse was moved to safer ground. During the following year, the lighthouse was restored to its original design, replacing windows, restoring structural framing and re-painting. The lighthouse is not open to the public but the grounds are open year-round for picnicking, walking, photography and quiet contemplation.